Every individual is at the type and level of consciousness that he/she
possesses at the present time, and this may evolve with age.

Is any of these positions 'better' or 'worse'? The 'rational' mind can
always be dragged in to 'justify' a position, whatever it might be.

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, ChrisAustinLane <chris@...> wrote:

> Thanks,
> Chris Austin-Lane
> Sent from a cell phone

> On Jan 15, 2011, at 5:12, Mel gunnar19632000@... wrote:
>
> > Don't get me wrong, because I personally love my vegies, fruit,
tofu, beans and so on...but I'm not quite clear on this 'vegetarian'
thingy

> I am vegetarian and the thing I tell my kids is that since I do not
need to eat meat and since the world has too many people to support
every one eating meat, I abstain (except for my cultural high holy days:
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years).

> I must confess to enjoying not having to shudder so much when the PETA
people get some footage of the abattoirs in front of me, but I do not do
it for that reason.

> There is an advantage to not eating meat for environmental reasons is
that the environmental consequences of out behavior is mostly based on
the aggregate total of all out behavior, so the first duty of an
environmentalist is to persuade others, not to be a beacon of purity. If
you are 99% pure but piss of your neighbors to the extent that they
compensate for your purity, you have achieved no environmental savings.