panda b.s.,

Attention to the breath is just one of the body-based methods used in zen
training.

It's a method usually given by teachers to students so they can make a
beginning in the practice.

Zen Buddhism is the meditation-school of Buddhism.  There are many methods that
have been developed in the 2000-year practice so far of many generations.  None
is better than another, and one may be more suitable at any time.

Are you a beginner in zen practice?  Or maybe some other school of meditation.
Counting, or following the breath, are you?

I would disagree with your simple claim that the breathing is the best guide
for meditation.  The best guide for meditation is what your teacher recommends
at any time.  What I mean is, your teacher is the best guide.  A method is not
a guide: it is a method.

Practice keeps changing, and so do we.  So does the teacher.  But the teacher
is the guide.

"Best" is an empty and uninformed suggestion, and misleading certainly, even if
not meant to be.  Perhaps you're just proud of the way an attention on
breathing is working for you in your practice.

But you only mention breathing, not attention.  Attention, to me, seems to be
key.

Maybe you'll tell us more.

--Joe