Chris,

Thanks!

Yes, average-age varies with sanghas; right.  And with geographic locales, and
with teachers, too, I find.

When I started formally I was 27, and most of the others in the sangha were
about the same age.  It's because the teacher had JUST come from China, and
word was spread about his presence in America (New York City) on college
campuses in Religion departments, and through general announcement flyers
posted on campuses.  I was lucky to see one of the flyers at Columbia, in the
Physics Department where I worked!

The teacher was 50 when I started with him.  He lived and taught for another 29
years.

In various sanghas I stayed long in, usually the only thing "doing" or going
on, thankfully, was the Dharma: I'm glad I didn't meet with groups such as you
mention who were overly sanguine about environmental affairs or civil rights.
"Time-and- place!"  I mean, surely there's a place for "Engaged Buddhism", but
I never even liked the sound of that label.

In general, though, I have nothing to say against Boomers, but nothing very
much to say "for" them, either.  I know too many of them "too" closely, to know
that they're/we're nothing special.  And, if they ARE special in some area
(great artist, teacher, Yogi, or scientist), then they are ordinary in other
areas, or even deficient in some.  Well, a bit like all of us, and like
everybody before us!  You might say it's the human condition.  ;-)

I don't let myself off this same hook, either, mind you.

California seems a "natural" place where sanghas will always be young, Chris.
Anyway, I hope it is always so.  And I hope the old folks stick with it and
bring a good example for the young ones joining.

Teachers say -- sometimes lamenting -- that "A teacher gets the students he/she
DESERVES".  We don't always get to choose.  Maybe it's partly "karma".

If I am to be a teacher, I think I'd much rather teach to quite young people:
the way I teach is pretty physical, and I think older people are usually not
ready for this.  Younger people competently take it as more of a challenge that
they can accept and work with, and can get results pretty soon with, to keep
them going.  With older folk, some remedial building-up needs doing, if the
person is to take well to our sort of practice, and vice-versa.  It's serious!
Health takes time to regain, if it's had a chance to slide.

In our teaching, Posture is a big thing; Exercises; Self-massage; and some
special Yoga exercises.  Plus, extended periods of slow Prostrations.

This is *not* the Japanese way of teaching, but comes through my teacher from
China, Sheng Yen.  It is wonderful, but not "merely"-wonderful: it is a
practical wonder, when a student can begin it and continue it.  I hope I can
still teach this to young people well into my 90s... as well as to continue to
practice it myself.

Chris, I think you are too old to start at age 44.  It may be the
over-the-hill-gang for *YOU*, Old Man!  ;-)

No, we find really that it is all up to the practitioner.  Sheng Yen had people
with him who were always older than he was at any time, though they might not
have been newcomers.

Ah, but you have a sangha and teacher.  Already blessed!

Strong practice,

Thanks again, & Cheers,

--Joe