Many things, but I will only give a couple of examples.

A. They can teach better than I could. For example, when I was in Paris, I went
to the morning meditations of Master Deshimaru's Zen Center of Paris. Shortly
after I started, after the meditation, I went into the entry room, and there,
his students were gathered around him, shaking his hand and talking. Seeing
that, I decided I wanted to shake his hand too, but the other students were
packed so closely that I would have had to shove someone out of the way to get
to Master Deshimaru. So I just gave up. Within less than a second of the time I
gave up, Master Deshimaru was plunging through the group of students with his
hand outstretched to shake mine. I could never, in such a crowd, have detected
someone in the back suddenly giving up inside his head, and known exactly what
he wanted to do.

B. It doesn't have to be just Zen teachers; there are other advanced Buddhist
teachers also. I backpacked to India, and then Nepal, in 1971 to try to find a
teacher for a small group of friends who were starting a Buddhist community in
British Columbia - though we were from California. While I was in India, the
group fell apart so I was no longer doing that, but I went on to Nepal and
there stayed at the center of Lama Thubten Yeshe. It was only for a short while
because Nepal was refusing to give long term visas to Western students. The
only people there when I arrived were a Russian princess, whose mother had long
lived in Nepal, and another woman. So I didn't have time to interact very much,
but even from that short relationship, Lama Yeshe was able to do something
rather advanced. After I left, I ended up at one point, studying the
Visuddhimagga while traveling, and learning how to transform anger type
emotions into positive ones--- ended up in Granada, Spain. There, in the wide
boulevard, a gypsy woman came up, begging, and I gave her may mala, wishing
that the Dharma would come to Granada. She was very happy, and swung the mala
around her arm like a student in a debate in a Tibetan monastery.

Several years later, Lama Yeshe was reborn in Granada. He had been aware of me
when I was thousands of miles away, and decided to reincarnate there as a
teaching to me. I certainly can't be aware of people in detail thousands of
miles away like that.

C. I try to take my bodhisattva vows, both made at Zen and Tibetan centers
seriously, because so many beings are suffering so. A bodhisattva can do many
things I can't. For example, in Chinese Zen literature, buddhas and
bodhisattvas can move about from world to world in what the literature calls
the ten thousand great thousand world systems. I can't even rise into the air
and fly down to the post office, let alone travel between worlds. There are
also descriptions of bodhisattvas at various levels (bhumis) in the Tibetan
literature. Even a lowest level bodhisattva is said to be able to teach beings
on a thousand worlds simultaneously. That is way way way beyond what I can do.

Of course, I can't prove the above about bodhisattvas. But becoming able to do
that would make it possible to rescue many beings quickly from suffering.
Therefore, it is a worthwhile goal, even if I'm not absolutely certain. If I am
right to believe the literature, I will eventually become able to rescue many
beings. If I am wrong, then it really isn't doing any harm to try.

Jim