Joe asked that I look back at the thread to get a clear idea of what we were
discussing.  For the record it's all Jim's fault and this was fun.  Apologies
in
advance for any offense, none were intended.  It is a somewhat light hearted
synopsis of some very dense stuff.

Godel's Incompleteness proof
Human Maths
Physical Mathematics
Gandhi
popcorn
Deutsch
Many-worlds quantum models
Decoherence
Quantum computations
quackery
Wolfram
Digital processing
Continuous field theory.

(most of these things are meaningless to me, but I like popcorn)

I looked at it all and still...  I'm not sure how far back the discussion
goes.

Joe stated some things about Buddhism and Hinduism
Jim responded with Cantor's Infinities
Edgar trumped that with Godel's incompleteness proof and Human Maths.
Chris discussed a mechanistic Universe
Edgar countered with a statement about Human Mathematics and the actual
physical
mathematics of the laws of nature.

In the midst of that Jim and Edgar traded blows over Jim's statement that he
was
applying them to all possible forms of the universe, and within that, the
current laws of nature may be only a special case - or not. If the laws of
nature are not a special case, then the details of the forms space takes are
not
covered by those mathematics. vs Edgar's really far out statement: Human math
is
infinitely accurate. That's one reason it doesn't accurately model the actual
physical mathematics which is granular at it's finest scale and limited in
accuracy. That doesn't mean human math is somehow 'better' because it's the
actual physical math that computes reality of everything The computational
system of reality DOES compute every aspect of reality because IT IS REALITY.
It's a logico-mathematical computational system consisting entirely of
information. The best analogue to understand it is like software executing in
the Buddha Nature computer. Humans are local subsystems in this universal
computational system.

Neither of those statements made a bit of sense to me.  I suspect there are
drugs involved.

Bill! then stopped the fight since Jim had vanished - I suspect he's in an
Alternate Universe or maybe he's a ninja.

The thread then resurrected pet neutering and murder.

 Then the thread morphed into a discussion of Gandhi and the religious training.

Then Jokes about Hell began popping up like, well, like popcorn.

Chris then saved us all from Hell but sent us to Math Purgatory resurrecting
the
earlier discussion about "physical mathematics" and "human mathematics" and
then
asked Edgar: What's your response to the many-worlds quantum models of Deutsch?

He further insisted on wrestling with Edgar's statement : "Likewise Godel's
incompleteness proof applies only to human math, not physical math. Since all
subsequent states of reality are computed from prior states that avoids any
possible incompletenesses since the definition of incompleteness is that it
can't be computed (computationally reached) from prior logical states. In fact
if their were any inconsistencies in the logic of reality reality would tear
itself apart at those incompletenesses and could not exist. This constitutes a
proof that the logic and math of reality is both consistent and logically
complete."

By saying "Computationally halting is not the same as a complete logical
formalization. Incompleteness has nothing to do with being unable to be
computed
- it is a method to take a specification of a formal system of arithmetic and
use that specification to compute a dyad of contradictory propositions, either
of which may be added with creating an inconsistence system. No finite
formalization is complete.

Termination of computation is easy to prove when there's not much looping or
conditionals involved and impossible to prove otherwise, pretty much no matter
the formalism. If you like to savor the beauty of it, the proof of the
impossibility of proving the termination of a given computation is precisely
the
argument Cantor used to prove the multitude of infinities. As is Godel's method
for calculating the dyad of statements.

None of this is much to do with Zen, tho there is a certain amount of clear
beauty in the uncreated necessarily true forms one finds in maths. "

More drugs I suspect.  Chris does echo Whitehead who said: "Let us grant that
the pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit,..."

The thread then discussed raising children when it crash landed on Edgar and a
discussion of decoherence and

The universe is computational. It continually computes its current state of
existence. Therefore it must have computational algorithms intrinsic as part of
its physical reality. These are the 'physical math' I spoke of. Human math is
an
approximation of that physical math in human terms. It is inexact. And there
are
some significant discrepancies

I began to suspect that we were not in Kansas anymore and that Edgar was saying
that the Universe behaves in some sort of mathematical and predictable manner
but that the variables were immense and most of them are unknowns.  Which
sounded like waffleing.

There was a bizarre email where Chris and Edgar mixed it up.  I suspect that
this was a reposting of an email sent privately from Chris to Edgar but I could
not tell who said what. It involved mentioning Quantum computations, Deutsch,
quackery, Wolfram, digital processing and continuous field theory.

Joe dragged us back to religion, nature and science. Here he mentioned Models
and then woosh..back to computational algorithms.

Edgar then went in for the kill and impugned Chris' trump card by saying that
Deutsch's idea was a "dumb theory and now has been conclusively falsified by
decoherence though some still don't understand that..."  pretty much saying
that
we have to take this as fact or we're dumb.  For the record I'm dumb I don't
know what decoherence is or anything about Deutsch's many-worlds quantum models.

Then back to raising children and then a statement about science and the use of
Models.  This is where I began to get some idea that maybe there was some sense
to be made of all of this.

We were brought back to Zen, religion and raising children and then my too late
post on Whitehead.

and we're done.

Find what makes your heart sing…and do it!