Bummy,

I don't know if a "term" is valid; logical propositions are either well-formed, 
or not, and may have validity.

A term naming an entity may be fit or not fit to be discussed in any group, but 
I know of none who are not fit to be discussed in some group.  In this group, 
among some or all of the members, it seems that everything goes, and "has gone" 
at one time or another already.  ;-)

But the introduction of the heading or subject-line, "war ciminals" was done in 
Message 35501 on Jan 26, 2013, by Merle.  Merle brought in the heading and the 
topic in furtherance of a discussion of karma, when she changed the 
subject-line of a thread.

I'm not one much in favor of changing the subject-line or heading of a thread 
in mid-discussion like that, without adding, say, a highly visible all-caps 
word also, like, "WAS", between the new title and the existing one, and posting 
both (retaining the old one while adding the new one to it).

As to the further content of your post, I'd say that "responsibility" for 
actions can be traced to beings who make decisions and take actions.  Those 
beings own the responsibility, the action, and the aftermath.

In the Buddhist view, the karma of the decision and action is added to their 
ledger. 

For example, if you decide during wartime to break the conventions and laws of 
war, then you are blamable, culpable, responsible.

I'm not saying I agree with this view, or that it has been revealed to me, or 
that I know it to be ultimately true as seen through my realization, ...but, so 
goes the tradition, and the Teaching.

And International Law.

Granted, the Zen school is *not* the Teaching School (and maybe this is your 
point).

But it makes constant reference to objects from there.

If you search at this group's website under the search-term "war criminals", 
you will see many more occurrences of the term than just those in the posts 
bearing Merle's modified subject-line.  I see a count of 24 times (!), going 
back just to the year 2007.  I stopped there because that is only half the 
lifetime of this group, and there may be even more uses of the term to be found 
by anyone here who is interested.  Having read some of them, I'll say that the 
usages are interesting!

--Joe


> "Bummy McNeedy"  wrote:
>
> I see no reason why the term war criminal has any validity in a zen 
> discussion group. Being that there is only a stream of thought and action 
> pouring through one and/or all, then there is no responsibility. Everything 
> is, as it should be. Also: grieve not for the alive nor the dead....




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to