yes indeed...all that ranting and raving and sitting on handwoven mats 
hoping... for some of us it's a matter of pointing to the moon!...merle


  
One afternoon a student said "Roshi, I don't really understand what's going on. 
I mean, we sit in zazen and we gassho to each other and everything, and Felicia 
got enlightened when the bottom fell out of her water-bucket, and Todd got 
enlightened when you popped him one with your staff, and people work on koans 
and get enlightened, but I've been doing this for two years now, and the koans 
don't make any sense, and I don't feel enlightened at all! Can you just tell me 
what's going on?"

"Well you see," Roshi replied, "for most people, and especially for most 
educated people like you and I, what we perceive and experience is heavily 
mediated, through language and concepts that are deeply ingrained in our ways 
of thinking and feeling. Our objective here is to induce in ourselves and in 
each other a psychological state that involves the unmediated experience of the 
world, because we believe that that state has certain desirable properties. 
It's impossible in general to reach that state through any particular form or 
method, since forms and methods are themselves examples of the mediators that 
we are trying to avoid. So we employ a variety of ad hoc means, some linguistic 
like koans and some non-linguistic like zazen, in hopes that for any given 
student one or more of our methods will, in whatever way, engender the 
condition of non-mediated experience that is our goal. And since even thinking 
in terms of mediators and goals tends to
 reinforce our undesirable dependency on concepts, we actively discourage 
exactly this kind of analytical discourse."

And the student was enlightened.

The end...Bill!


 

Reply via email to