Zendervish,
The quote you asked about usually credited to Qungyaun Weixin who lived
in China during the Tang Dynasty (618-907) :
"Before I had studied Chan for thirty years, I saw mountains as
mountains, and rivers as rivers. When I arrived at a more intimate
knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not
mountains, and rivers are not rivers. But now that I have got its very
substance I am at rest. For it's just that I see mountains once again as
mountains, and rivers once again as rivers." ― Qingyuan
Weixin
Here's a link to a song referring to this by Donovan you might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkLp9d7HKuA 
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkLp9d7HKuA>

As far as time sitting...  My roshi used to say that sitting well for 5
minutes was better than sitting poorly for 5 hours.

...Bill!--- In [email protected], "salik888" <novelidea8@...>
wrote:
>
> Joe
>
> Agreed, the word Dharma is at best introductory, a basic perception .
. .
>
> I don't have time to look for it, maybe someone has it at their
disposal the zen story about rivers and mountains being mountains, then
rivers and mountains not being mountains, and then rivers and mountains
being mountains.
>
> As said I am headed out the door, duty calls . . .
>
> But most importantly, both Bill and you are urging strong practice.
>
> On another post someone took Bill to task, jokingly I am sure, for
only practicing a certain amount of time. Some people don't need to
meditate a great deal. Some, it is written, for I have not witnessed it,
move quickly into samadhi. Although most do not. I certainly do not. I
schlogg away at it like an Ozarkian turnip eater just off the wagon.
>
> I like that, strong practice . . .
>
> /\
>
> zendervish
>
> --- In [email protected], "Joe" desert_woodworker@ wrote:
> >
> > Salik,
> >
> > I think in the orthodox understanding of the usage in the Soto sect
you mention it, the meaning of Dharma in "Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha" is
the Teaching of the Buddha, which Bill! shows as def. #3 from the
dictionary contents placed online for access.
> >
> > Of course we can understand it as we like when we practice, it's
impossible to limit it by making it narrower, and impossible to make it
too broad, for practice purposes.  When we awaken, it will be clear as
ICE what it means.
> >
> > The definition is a calling card.  We must call the number to reach
the party we want.  Or better, make our way to the address and have a
visit in person.
> >
> > Strong practice,
> >
> > --Joe
> >
> > > "salik888" <novelidea8@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Bill
> > >
> > > Contextually, using conventional agreed upon consensus building in
terms of Religion, history, cultural, etc . . . I would choose 3 when
speaking of Buddhism in the big picture as taught . . . but we were not
talking about this, Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, etc . . . I used it in,
shall we say, a metaphysical way, the way anyone who might have a slight
bent this way would understand, intrinsically . . . is the dharma
everpresent? Now?
> > >
> > > Since we understand the word to mean (I will take out the word
nature, your assessment) and use 'what is', "is" not illusion, then
Buddha, Dharma, and Sangah "is".
> >
>

Reply via email to