Salik,

Did you become a Mureed (Murid?)?  I didn't take that step, but stayed close to 
the group for three years.  We even had a retreat once with Pir Vilayat 
upstairs at Shahabuddin's place downtown.

I liked the beautiful orange hardcovers of Hazrat's book series.  I think I 
only owned, once, the MEDITATION volume, and alas it was destroyed by water 
damage when a steam radiator exploded in a place I rented.

All those 12 or so volumes of teachings seemed a bit daunting to me.  There 
also seemed to be a lot of repetition, or -- I should say more kindly -- 
overlap from one to the other book.

Overall, I'm very glad to have been with them, and often think of their Sufi 
names.  Yours is a good one!  Do you think it suits you?  Did you choose it, or 
a teacher apply it?  Both?  ;-)

I remember, after 40 years, some of the Sufi prayers, esp. the short invocation 
"Toward The One... ", which I also used as a mantra for a few months walking 
around NYC, during which I also often fingered a short Mala of 33 dark-wood 
beads, with a deep blue tassel, and white, irregular, polished Moonstone, my 
birthstone.  I bought it while at the Hungarian Pastry Shop for $2 from a 
lovely Sufi in 1973 one day after our dancing at the Cathedral across the 
street.  I rarely use the Mala now, but it still suits me, and it is well 
broken-in, by now.  Lot of miles on it.  ;-)

--Joe

> "salik888" <novelidea8@...> wrote:
> 
> Interesting . . . this corresponds to roughly to the stations in Sufism, Fana 
> being the final stage, empty, burned up . . . of course Sufism as has a 
> so-called sober school. Hallaj would be an example of Fana. 




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to