Mike,

I again like your analogy.

The only thing is I don't see many people at the 'top' who follow the long and
winding Buddhist path.  IMO they get hung-up along the way, stopping here and
there at roadside rest areas, getting comfortable  and thinking they are at the
summit.

I'd also equate zen not so much as a "steep cliff-face" that you have to climb
with a great effort, but a Star Trek-like transporter.  One second you're at
the bottom of the mountain and the next you're on top.

The paragraph above was to follow your analogy.

I really see zen as just 'blowing away of a fog' that allows you to enjoy the
vista from where you are, and realize that where you are is just as good, and
even no different than the top or anywhere else on the mountain.

...Bill!