We use Zenoss for monitoring ~250 devices.  These servers are a mix of Windows,
Linux, and network devices.  The network devices all use SNMP, and the servers
use both either WMI/SNMP or SSH/SNMP.

The server is a VM with two cores and about 1.5GB of memory.

The server occasionally gets very sluggish, so I'm trying to tweak its
performance.  The disk appears to be the bottleneck.  When the web interface
gets very sluggish, the total IO from iostat goes to 100%, and context switches
from vmstat sometimes go over 2000.

In order to increase the disk performance, I would like to disable the
collection of much of the rrd data that is collected on our servers (the data
that appears under the perf tab), as we don't use this data.  We would,
however, still like to receive notifications of high disk utilization, high cpu
utilization, etc.  I just don't want the historical performance data written to
disk.

Is there a way to do this?

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.zenoss.com/viewtopic.php?p=38797#38797