Sorry to bump an ancient topic, but I've resolved this issue on my Zenoss
install, running on top of Ubuntu Server 8.04.

The issue appears to be that pyOpenSSL did not properly load into when Zenoss
was installed, because the OpenSSL headers were not available.  As a result,
SSL was broken.  This can be confirmed by trying to import python's SSL
settings:

Code:

# python
>>> import twisted.internet.ssl

If it's broken, you'll get an import error.  Otherwise, the import will succeed
without any message.

The solution is to ensure that the OpenSSL dev libraries are properly installed
BEFORE you try to install Zenoss.  The Ubuntu package for OpenSSL source is
libssl-dev.

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.zenoss.com/viewtopic.php?p=39208#39208