On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Apps, John <john.a...@hp.com> wrote:
> Hmm. Not sure if this has anything to do with multi-core, SOA or enterprises.
> Is it not more to do with the lack of courage to break new ground, try new
> things, leave the past behind - we have been doing it this way for 50 years,
> why change now?
>
> A perhaps strange analogy is Erlang: it has been around for a long time, but
> only now is it beginning to take off. 0MQ has not been around for as long,
> but it serves a similar purpose in providing message-based computing. I
> highly recommend these two videos with Joe Armstrong as he makes the point
> much better than I:
>
> http://mailer.infoq.com/link.php?M=6193031&N=1063&L=10064&F=H (Message
> passing concurrency in Erlang)
>
> http://www.oredev.org/videos/erlang--the-language-and-its-applications
> (Erlang - the language and its applications)
>
> Another, even stranger, analogy is that of Tandem and what Jim Gray wrote
> over 30 years ago about isolation, message passing, defensive programming,
> etc. It has taken that long for these ideas -whether in hardware or software
> or both is irrelevant- to become accepted and take off.
>
> Many developers are stuck in their ways, universities do not seem to be
> teaching new thoughts, and so we continue to fight with shared data
> structures, threads, defensive programming, and so forth; and OO does not
> help much here either!
>
> -- john.a...@hp.com | +491718691813 | http://twitter.com/johnapps --

John I agree, and along the same accord I'd like to mention J. Paul
Morrison [1] and Flow Based Programming [2].

As far as I'm concerned 0mq make FBP readily viable to the masses and
may greatly enhance his this programming philosophy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Morrison
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow-based_programming