Interestingly, Unix pipes don't really either.  We've been packetized
for years in the form of "lines" on Unix.

I'm thinking of writing a pipe "adapter" for zmq, e.g.:

zpipe --istream tcp://myhost:3333 | grep -v foobar | zpipe --ostream
tcp://yourhost:4444

zpipe --sub pgm://whatever --topic alarms | grep -i urgent

That would be fun to play with.

:-)