On 02/16/2011 07:05 PM, Brian Granger wrote:

> I think this comes down to a fundamental question:  it is more
> important to have often and stable releases (in which case, master
> should always be stable) or is it more important to get new code into
> the hands to developers as soon as it exists, even if it is buggy (in
> which case, master should be used as)?

Linux kernel uses "merge windows" to address both aspects of the
problem. Same with FreeBSD (check Vick Khera's note in this thread).

The idea is to make a release, then merge all the outstanding work
("merge window"), then freeze the codebase and stabilise it. Once it's
stabilised, make new release and start the cycle anew.

Martin