On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Martin Sustrik <sust...@imatix.com> wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 07:05 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
>
> Linux kernel uses "merge windows" to address both aspects of the
> problem. Same with FreeBSD (check Vick Khera's note in this thread).
>
> The idea is to make a release, then merge all the outstanding work
> ("merge window"), then freeze the codebase and stabilise it. Once it's
> stabilised, make new release and start the cycle anew.

I think the merge window workflow can work out pretty well. As a plus,
you can gain some control over the release cycle. As an external user,
it can be pretty helpful to know that you can count on zeromq being
released every X months, and it helps you developers not fall in the
trap of sitting on bug fixes while waiting for some feature that's
taking longer than normal to develop.

That said, I think you have to have a big enough community of
developers for it to work well. If it's still mainly Martin doing the
commits then there might not be enough independent development for
there to be anything to merge.