> Could you explain what the essential disadvantage of having multiple repos,
> each working with their own master branch and supporting branches as
> required, and a single repo with multiple organized branches?

I think it boils down to common practice and the principle of least surprise. I
believe it is far more common to see projects with a single repository and
multiple branches, than ones where each main version is kept on a separate repo.

The flow presented at http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
has become so common that there is a standard tool to implement it:
https://github.com/nvie/gitflow which is used in many different projects. So I
think using this workflow gains you appreciable standardization and common
knowledge. Also see
http://jeffkreeftmeijer.com/2010/why-arent-you-using-git-flow/

My 2 cents.

--