On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Daniel Lundin <d...@eintr.org> wrote:

> As user of both 2.1 and 3.0.x, another +1 for Option 2. Changing
> existing code isn't too bad, and 2-1 compatibility is great.

Thanks to all of you for you input. Yes, there was a typo, I meant 3.0 not 3.1.

So by total consensus it's option 2. We'll shutter the 3.0 release and
start packaging the current master as 3.1.

For those who are actually using 3.0 in near production, I'd advise
testing now with the libzmq master for sanity purposes. We will make
maintenance releases of 3.0 as long as people provide patches and 3.1
is not yet in beta state. Note that 3.1 does not support durable
sockets.

The focus will then be on bringing 3.1 to stability, and moving 2.1 to
legacy status. We can then look at the experimental branches and see
how to bring them into use with minimum pain. I think the new generic
socket type is most interesting.

Thanks to everyone, and to Martin especially, for this nice clean road map.

-Pieter