On Apr 3, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Chuck Remes <li...@chuckremes.com> wrote:
>
>> So, in my opinion, there is no reason to go off our own and develop a new
>> policy for version numbering. The semantic versioning policy is pretty well
>> understood and is widely accepted. Plus, even if it isn't perfect, it isn't
>> *wildly imperfect* either.
>
> Actually, it is imperfect, as I explained. Not sure about the level of
> wildness. But definitely broken in tangible ways.
>
> Specifically, the versioning requirements for the contracts (ABI,
> protocol) are different than for the implementation. We've been hit
> this several times in the past.

This ABI issue is a weakness of the current policy as described at
http://www.zeromq.org/docs:policies

We can certainly fix that problem without having it bleed over into the
versioning of the library itself. The ABI rarely changes, so a separate policy
for it is probably a good idea.

> Right now the consequence is that we have people wanting to improve
> 2.1.x (because that's what they run) and a 2.2 release would mean a
> whole new cycle, which we're expecting to happen on 3.1.

I doubt the people clamoring for a new release of 2.something care if it is
named 2.1.12 or 2.2.0. If we are to stick with a reasonable policy, the next
release should be 2.2.0. Even the policy page lists 2.2.x as the target for any
ongoing work on 2.x releases whereas 2.1.x is supposed to get bug fixes only.

>> Pieter, I know you like to write these things up and experiment and I agree
>> that it is all for the good.
>
> We can simply state "all new code, period, must go into 3.1" but that
> goes against clear wishes from certain users.

I understand that some users want the 2.x series to continue. That's fine. The
next release that contains new features should be 2.2.0. Or are you saying that
they want new features to go into 2.1.x? If so, why does it matter to them if
it is 2.1.x or 2.2.0? And if it doesn't matter, then we should continue with
the current policy.

> We can simply package these changes in 2.1.x but that goes against clear
> policy.
>
> I've no personal opinion here, but I am highlighting an increasing
> stress in our versioning (two people have asked to "fix" 2.1 in the
> last days).

Sure, they want fixes in 2.1 because 3.1 "sounds" like a big leap. There
actually is quite a bit of new and different code in the 3.1 branch, so I can
sympathize. What I *do not understand* is this insistence that fixes and new
features must go into 2.1. Why can't it be 2.2.0?

> This does need discussion.
>
> Accuracy demands that we identify stresses and resolve them cleanly.

I hope some other folks chime in with an opinion. Unless this is resolved to my
satisfaction, I am going to fork it! :) (for the humor impaired, this was a
joke)

cr