On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Daisuke Maki <lestr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just trying to avoid seeing 2.x -> 3.0 -> 3.x nightmare by being vocal.

I think we fixed that nightmare some time ago, with this
http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:16#toc8 among other things.

My goal is that compatibility _never_ breaks until we're long past the
stage where it matters (e.g. 3.2 has a new protocol but will
interoperate with 2.2, and 2.1 and probably not 2.0).

Looking at the aesthetics, we've made quite a few improvements in 3.2
but they're all optional (e.g. zmq_ctx_new() in place of zmq_init(1),
zmq_msg_send in place of zmq_sendmsg()). With devices gone there's
nothing left on my old hit list.

I'm still regretting that we broke the API between 2.x and 3.x at all,
but that's too late to change now.

-Pieter