There is a pull request in effect on the jeromq project.  I'm continually
adding to it.  The more I work on things, the more it feels like we need
some higher-level abstractions.

A couple of ideas:
  1) Maybe we should ask the context to createDealer() (for example) and
have it return a Dealer object, with only the functionality that makes
sense for Dealer sockets. [repeat for other socket types]
  2) So far, the jzmq project & the corresponding code in jeromq have been
striving to be pretty close analogues to the CZMQ code.  I don't believe
that this is really the best way to approach things.  I propose that we
design a high-level, modern, java-centric API that makes it really easy for
developers to get in the game.  Certainly there is much to be learned from
the way that CZMQ was built and the facilities that it provides, but, at
its core, it is a c API, not a java API.

As I'm mostly a zeromq newb, it's going to take me a while to sort out what
will really be the best way to go.  Those who have used zeromq via java can
definitely provide a lot of value here.  When you implemented a real-life
project that used zeromq, what wrappers, higher-level abstractions did you
create?  That's the kind of stuff that will be invaluable.

My goal, stated in a Pieter-style "one-liner": Make the java API attractive
enough that Bob Lee will want to use it internally at Square for all their
messaging needs.

John

ps. Bob Lee, if you're on this list, and Square is already using zeromq,
your experiences will definitely be invaluable!  :)