In your performance experiment ZeroMQ will always be slower than TCP. There
is a small overhead to using ZeroMQ but it's mitigated by other smart
things it does like smart batching to avoid redundant network stack
traversals. But if all you're doing is a synchronous PING/PONG, you lose
that speed benefit entirely and might as well just use TCP.

ZeroMQ's value-add over TCP is stuff like API simplicity, asynchronicity,
message queuing/routing, multi-cast, atomic multi-part messaging, etc. If
speed is your concern, I would suggest redefining your problem and try to
model it asynchronously.

One embodiment might be:

Use PUSH/PULL to distribute the work and PUB/SUB to aggregate the results.

Warmest regards,

Trev