This is a good find.

In my humble opinion -- and since a lot of applications are moving to
virtualised guests -- a low-resolution timer should be used by default. It
would then be the call of the developer to explicitly decide otherwise.

This is a genuine case of use worst case by default with the end user
specifically specifying more granularity.

The VirtualBox ticket was closed as invalid, and it was suggested that this is
a Microsoft "issue". Is this something that should be changed by default only
on Microsoft builds?

Felipe, is this something you could try and reproduce with a Linux guest?

--
Justin Cook