Thanks Peter. I can't try this out till I get home but it is looking like
hwm overflows.

If you run the utilities you notice the drops start happening after
precisely 1000 events in the first instance (which Is the default hwm).

There was another largely ignored thread about this recently mentioning the
same problem.

I also tried setting the hwm values to a number greater than the number of
events and it seemed to have no effect either.