Which all brings us to my next question -

Can we just move on to -std=c++11 for future libzmq versions? The big 3
compilers (well mostly, Microsoft still presents a few issues) support
C++11 at this point.

Many of the issues below would just 'go away' with the use of std::mutex,
std::unique_lock, and std::comdition_variable.