in addition to not being exception safe, all of the explicit entry and
early exit from the mutex is a fully loaded footgun for some future
developer working on this code. RAII is a core idiom of C++ and scoped
locks/guards are the only sensible and safe way to write this sort of code
so that will be both exception safe and have a chance of not biting someone
down the road.

Also, std::condition_variable has explicit support for handling spurious
wakeups. see -

http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/thread/condition_variable/wait

The second variant of wait() takes a predicate which can be used to ignore
spurious wakeups.