Hey Charlie,

I have used the C4 model in a corporate project in a private company. It
has a lot of brilliant ideas and novel benefits, however there are certain
things that you should be aware of before using it. like other things, it
has pros and cons. In this email I will try to explain my thoughts and
experience about it. Of course, my understanding of C4 might not be fully
valid and correct, I ask others to correct my understanding about it if I
describe something wrong.

The first positive point that comes to my mind is that it really
appreciates diversity in the team. by its democratic model, it enables
everyone to have equal voices and it really helps collective ownership of
the project. Besides that, it has a very simple and understandable model
for every developer, it's really easy to apply it in a project without
worry about complex branching models and different kinds of tasks. One
novel idea in C4 is that every change should address a problem,
everything's a problem, there is no distinguishing between Task, Story,
Feature, Bug ...

The above positive points in C4 make it a really useful model in developing
an open-source project, however its too democratic approach may not be
suitable in all environments.
For example, in our case, we had a lot of important issues at hand, a rigid
roadmap defined by product managers, and limited resources. C4 does not
tell you how you should prioritize your tasks in the team. Of course, the
approach that "everything is a problem" would help you a lot to find out
most important problems in the project and address them first, although
it's a little hard to communicate it with product managers, and also, it
requires every team members to have a solid understanding of the business
needs and the whole big picture, it's not an impossible thing, but it
requires a very mature and pro-active culture. Maybe having some additional
principles to prioritizing tasks and making consensus about most important
issues to work on, could improve it in this kind of situation.

--
Best Regards,
Esa