I wrote it during the spell of unusual wet weather in Chennai.
Edited it a little later. Now the weather being what it is in
Northern India, thought you all might enjoy it.

Best,

Rumjhum

MY TAKE ON THE SUN

1/ The Talking
This soggy mess, this inept bunch of forecasters and
that Sun! I
can't even take my customary morning walk
so let me throw caution to the winds and invite
His High and Mightiness, Mister Hot Balls himself
ask him to give me company
What is that cheat doing up there?
He's perched himself like a golden parrot
gaily swinging in his cobalt cage, with
a sheet of clouds below to catch his droppings!
I can almost see that lazy lout stretching out a long
clawed foot and plucking a comet delicately
A treat he eschews like a chilly pepper freshly plucked
from the shrub.
He had his fun with Kunti, wretched woman that she was.
Now he is having fun with us!

2/ The Walking
Yes. A walkabout with the sun could be fun. I will
Dress up in a black track suit and wear sun shades to match,
So he won't be able to steal the show. Now imagine us,
Two pictures of contrast walking side by side – and here's
The best part: I could actually use him to grill a fish or two
Snatched from the sea before sunrise. How about
some crabs as well? I could bake those
in the sand when Sunny Boy sits down to let
the foam swipe his toes. I could offer
him some groundnuts provided he offers
to roast them for me. I ought to give him something
to quench his thirst with  -
tender green coconut with a pink striped straw?

3/ The Hawking
Imagine all the tourists flocking in to get a free tan -
rows and rows of naked buttocks whiter than clams
getting ruddier by the turn, and our footprints
burning on the sand. And gulls with shells
in their beaks, neatly parted to show the meat,
florid lobsters frisking each other in the ocean, boiling
around discarded groundnut shells, plastic bags, paper cups,
stuff that mess up the sea. Now the Sun would see to that
stuff getting recycled into fine dust particles as white
as the bleached dead corals.

4/ The Stalking
We would resume our walk again, westward ho!
And, this time I would stride beside him -
a guide, a friend, a comrade in arms. And
the Sun and I would tramp past rows of traffic snarls
burning the city buses to cinders, turning the cars into can-openers
crisping the bikes till they melted into garden tools,
and furrowed through loose earth. Free up the roads -
Literally hundreds of shiny bicycles let loose
pinging their bells past brisk feet.
This time though, I would be the black shadow chasing the Sun
back to his rightful place, singing, "hut tut tut tut."
And tie a cow bell round the Sun's flaming neck.

© Rumjhum Biswas November 2005

--
You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems circulated
and participate in discussions. To post, email your message to