I managed to get the ztest debug compile, using the technique written up in
this thread.

One thing is still not working:  Trying to apply the same methodology to an
userland
command (e.g. fashioning a debug-able zpool command) does not work.

No matter what I do, my freshly recompiled zpool command insists on loading its
libraries from the system locations ( /lib and /usr/lib)  and not my workspace
location (where the debug libraries are).

I have a LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to where the debug lib's are ( actually 2
locations
separated by ":" and terminated with a "\;".  Using the same settings I use for
ztest,
works like a charm there.

If you have managed to debug any of the usermode commands, please share
your experience.

I continue looking at this, my current theory is maybe the library search
location
is made fixed during the build.

Steve