Steve Gonczi wrote:

>This proves to be unexpectedly  difficult to solve.
>
>I find it hard to fathom, that nobody at SUN runs dbx on the various usermode
>components of the OS,
>specifically the ztest usermode exerciser.
>
>I believe this forum proposes to be the right place to ask  this question:
>
>Is there a working [easy] way to build dbx-debuggable userland components
>without hacking the build environment?
>
>I was hoping to get a definitive answer from someone who does this on a daily
>basis.

I feel your pain.  I've been fighting this battle for a week.  I do
Solaris debugging on a daily basis, but only recently started working on
the zfs userland components.  I too am surprised that this isn't getting
wider attention.  (I should say that I don't think this problem is
limited to the zfs userland components.  I think it affect all userland
code.)

I hope someone comes up with an answer to your question because all I
can do is offer more details about how I hacked the environment to get
this to work.  But I DID get it to work.  If you're interested, I can
give you all the steps I used (I left out the gory details in my earlier
mail because I hoped that just setting the debug  format to "dwarf"
would do the trick).  Let me know and i'll write them down (it's not
THAT bad.  It's a kludge, but it's an easy kludge to try.)

In the meantime, I'm going to do what I can to raise the visibility of
this problem.  The bug that appears to be at the root of at least my dbx
problems is 6823053.  I'm going to raise the priority of it and add some
comments to it.

Lori