On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:22, James Dickens wrote:
> how about changing the name of the file to  uid or username-filename
> this atleast gets you the ability to let each user the ability to
> delete there own file, shouldn't be much work. Another possible
> enhancement would be adding anything field in stat(stat) in the files
> name after its deleted.  This would be set per filesystem. mod, uid,
> username(the code should do the conversion), gid, size, mtime and just
> parse a format string like   $mtime-$name.

A number of (generally older) systems have had the concept of numbered
file versions.  (I recall seeing this during casual use of ITS, TOPS-20,
and VMS;
GNU Emacs and its derivatives emulate this via the use of .~NN~ backup
copies, but this "pollutes" the directory namespace).

Adding a version/generation number to the filename in the "deleted"
directory would allow multiple versions to coexist.

It might also make sense to populate the "deleted" directory with an
older version when file contents are deleted via an

        open(..., ...|O_TRUNC)

or when a file is deleted via rename.

                                                - Bill