Once again, I hate to be a harpy on this one, but are we really convinced that having a "undo" (I'm going to call is RecycleBin from now on) function for file deletion built into ZFS is a good thing?

Since I've seen nothing to the contrary, I'm assuming that we're doing this by changing the actual effects of an "unlink(2)" sys lib call against a file in ZFS, and having some other library call added to take care of actual deletion.

Even with it being a ZFS option parameter, I can see soooo many places that it breaks assumptions and causes problems that I can't think it's a good thing to blindly turn on for everything.

And, I've still not seen a good rebuttal to the idea of moving this up to the Application level, and using a new library to implements the functionality (and requires Apps to specifically (and explicitly) support RecycleBin in the design).

You will notice that Windows does this. The Recycle Bin is usable from within Windows Explorer, but if you use "del" from a command prompt, it actually deletes the file. I see no reason why we shouldn't support the same functionality (i.e. RecycleBin from within Nautilus (as it already does), and true deletion via "rm").

-Erik