On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:15:19PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> A very good suggestion.
>
> However ... there had to be a "however" eh?
>
> I seem to have this unwritten expectation that with ZFS I would get
> everything that I always had with UFS and SVM without losing a feature.  The
> ufsbackup and ufsrestore command will both do a complete dump of a UFS
> filesystem plus incrementals and all the metadata also.
>
> I lose that with ZFS as the backup technology does not exist yet to backup
> all the metadata also.
>
> Perhaps we need to craft a zfsbackup and zfsrestore command ?

You most likely want the age-old RFE:

5004379 want comprehensive backup strategy

The 'zfs send' and 'zfs receive' subcommands form the basis of this
backup strategy.  But they are only primitives, not solutions.  They are
intentionally designed this way because they can be used both for
backup/restore and remote replication.  However, there are several key
features required to make this a reality:

6421959 want zfs send to preserve properties ('zfs send -p')
6421958 want recursive zfs send ('zfs send -r')
6399128 want tool to examine backup files (zbackdump)

I believe Matt is planning on working on these (certainly the first two)
once he gets back from vacation.

Alternatively, an implementation of:

6370738 zfs diffs filesystems

Would provide the primitive needed to implement a POSIX-level backup
solution, by quickly identifying which files have changed in between
given snapshots.  This would be quite simple if it weren't for hard
links.

All of the above provide a rich set of primitives for someone to go off
and investigate what it would take to implement a backup solution.  This
should probably be integrated with a system of rolling snapshots, as
some of the functionality is the same (consistent snapshot naming,
automatically scheduled snapshots, retirement of old snapshots).

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock