"Dennis Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> # mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn status
> >> HP DAT-72 tape drive:
> >>    sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
> >>    file no= 0   block no= 0
> >> # zfs send zfs0/[EMAIL PROTECTED] > /dev/rmt/0cbn
> >> cannot write stream: I/O error
> >> #
> >
> > This looks like a tape problem....
> >

> no .. the status was EOT

If this is true, then ZFS sens is buggy and ignores UNIX rules for write(2) on
tape drives.

> strangely the Sun mt reports EOT but schily mt did not.

You may only read this kind of tape status once!

You did most likely first call Sun's mt ;-)

> > If this was EOT, then I would not expect EIO.
> >
> >>   (1) perhaps I can break my ZFS filesystem area into chunks that fit on
> >>       a HP DAT-72 tape drive without compression.  I think this is just
> >>       not reasonable.
> >
> > Is the ZFS backup unable to write multi-volume backups?
> > If this is true, then it is not yet ready for production.
>
> I don't think that the stream of data from zfs send was ever intended to go
> directly to tape media.

If yes, then the ZFS would need to correctly deal with the condition where
write(2) returns 0.

>   I use star but star reports all the files on ZFS as being sparse.

This is incompatible with the experiences I have with star & ZFS.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)