On 8/8/06, eric kustarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Leon Koll wrote:

> I performed a SPEC SFS97 benchmark on Solaris 10u2/Sparc with 4 64GB
> LUNs, connected via FC SAN.
> The filesystems that were created on LUNS: UFS,VxFS,ZFS.
> Unfortunately the ZFS test couldn't complete bacuase the box was hung
> under very moderate load (3000 IOPs).
> Additional tests were done using UFS and VxFS that were built on ZFS
> raw devices (Zvolumes).
> Results can be seen here:
> http://napobo3.blogspot.com/2006/08/spec-sfs-bencmark-of-zfsufsvxfs.html

hiya leon,

Out of curiosity, how was the setup for each filesystem type done?

I wasn't sure what "4 ZFS'es" in "The bad news that the test on 4 ZFS'es
couldn't run at all" meant... so something like 'zpool status' would be
great.

Hi Eric,
here it is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ # zpool status
 pool: pool1
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

       NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       pool1                    ONLINE       0     0     0
         c4t001738010140000Bd0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

 pool: pool2
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

       NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       pool2                    ONLINE       0     0     0
         c4t001738010140000Cd0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

 pool: pool3
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

       NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       pool3                    ONLINE       0     0     0
         c4t001738010140001Cd0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

 pool: pool4
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

       NAME                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       pool4                    ONLINE       0     0     0
         c4t0017380101400012d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Do you know what you're limiting factor was for ZFS (CPU, memory, I/O...)?

Thanks to George Wilson who pointed me to the fact that the memory was
fully consumed.
I removed the line
"set ncsize = 0x100000" from /etc/system
and the now the host isn't hung during the test anymore.
But performance is still an issue.

-- Leon