On 8/15/06, Anton B. Rang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Delivering into $HOME raises some new failure modes if the home directory
servers are NFS mounted, but otherwise often works OK. However, in some cases
it's simply impossible--for instance, in a secure NFS environment where the
home directory can't be mounted without a Kerberos ticket.

Oy, Kerberos.  Never heard of any place that actually *uses* it, and
it sure has caused lots of work over the years.  So does this mean
that in some sense the mail directory is less well protected than the
home directory in that situation?

Right, I forgot people might still deliver into something other than a
Maildir (which is NFS-safe).  I suspect that was an important issue
for a lot of sites.

I think the main reason systems are set up to deliver into /var/mail, though,
is simply because that's how they ship by default. Few customers seem motivated
to change the defaults unless they're convinced of a very good reason for it.

After the third time one or the other partition filled up while the
other one had lots of space, it seemed like a no-brainer to me.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>