One of the things espoused on this list again and again is that quotas
for users are not ideal, and that one should just make a filesystem
per user.

Ok.. I did that. I now have per just one "volume" within my pool some
380 odd users. By way of example, lets say I have
/pool/common/users/user1 ... /pool/common/users/user2

I then went into /etc/dfs/dfstab and did a share for /pool/common to a
client, and mounted it there. I knew this might happen, but I hoped it
wouldn't: only /pool/common/users is seen and not the files usernames
or their directories.

Is there a way to allow simple export commands the traverse multiple
ZFS filesystems for exporting? I'd hate to have to have hundreds of
mounts required for every point in a given tree (we have users,
projects, src, etc)