>True - I'm a laptop user myself. But as I said, I'd assume the whole disk
>would fail (it does in my experience).

That's usually the case, but single-block failures can occur as well. They're
rare (check the "uncorrectable bit error rate" specifications) but if they
happen to hit a critical file, they're painful.

On the other hand, multiple copies seems (to me) like a really expensive way to
deal with this. ZFS is already using relatively large blocks, so it could add
an erasure code on top of them and have far less storage overhead. If the
assumed problem is multi-block failures in one area of the disk, I'd wonder how
common this failure mode is; in my experience, multi-block failures are
generally due to the head having touched the platter, in which case the whole
drive will shortly fail. (In any case, multi-block failures could be addressed
by spreading the data from a large block and using an erasure code.)