Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

disclaimer: I have not used zfs snapshots a lot as I am still experimenting with zfs, but they appear to be similar to freebsd snapshots, with which I am familiar.

The user experience with snapshots, in terms of file versioning (#1, #2, maybe #3) is much worse than a true file versioning user experience. People are oriented to their files, not to snapshots. And I may not want versioning with all my files (object files etc) which you would get with the snapshots.

disclaimer: ditto

I tend to agree with Chad though. If you are taking snapshots every 5 seconds like Matthew suggests in a earlier reply, how does a user easily go back to previous versions without encountering a bunch of duplicated "versions" in the myriad of snapshots that are being taken. If the latest snapshot is number 2000, for example, and my file was last changed in snapshot 450. How do I easily figure that out without walking through snapshots 1999 - 451 before finding it?

 --joe