John Sonnenschein wrote:
I *just* figgured out this problem, looking for a potential solution
(or at the very least some validation that i'm not crazy)

Okay, so here's the deal. I've been using this terrible horrible
no-good very bad hackup of a couple partitions spread across 3 drives
as a zpool.

I got sick of having to dig up the info of what slices do what every
time I need to do something, so I shuffled around some data & created
a new zpool out of my SATA drive. ( [i]# zpool create xenophanes
c2d0[/i] ).

Everything works, etc. for a while, then I rebooted the machine.

As it turns out now, something about the drive is causing the machine
to hang on POST. It boots fine if the drive isn't connected, and if I
hot plug the drive after the machine boots, it works fine, but the
computer simply will not boot with the drive attatched.

As I recall, some BIOSs get confused by EFI labels, which ZFS uses when you give it a whole disk (as opposed to just a slice). You might want to see if there's a BIOS update available for your motherboard, or search this forum for a previous thread on this topic, or maybe someone here has a better memory that I do...

--matt