So are there any pci-e SATA cards that are supported ? I was hoping to go
with a sempron64. Using old-pci seems like a waste.

I recently built a am2 sempron64 based zfs box.

motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-MX
cpu: amd am2 sempron64 2800+

The motherboard has 2 ide ports and 4 sata ports provided by nvidia mcp51.
The ide and sata ports work in compatability mode.
The onboard nge ethernet works.
The motherboard has builtin geforce based video but I havent tested this.

Im using 2 ide disks for mirrored boot/root and a 4 disk raidz on the
sata ports.

It has been running snv_47 for the last couple of weeks with no problems.

Paul