Richard Elling - PAE schrieb:
Frank Cusack wrote:
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  Sun sells a hardware product which
their software does not support.  The worst part is it is advertised as
working.  <http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/specs.xml>

What is your definition of "work"?
NVidia MCPs work with SATA drives in IDE emulation mode under Solaris
(thus I am able to compose this message on an NForce 410)

Quoted from the web page above:

Internal disk
        Up to two hot-pluggable 3.5 inch SATA or SATA II,
        250 GB or 500 GB 7200 RPM disks supported.

"hot-pluggable" - you will find out only in a footnote (not on this specs page) that this is only supported with MS Windows.

        http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/os.jsp

Still no mention of hot-pluggable not supported by Solaris.

Maybe here
        http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/datasheet.pdf
... nope.

Perhaps in the FAQ
        http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/faq.jsp
... hmm, no again.

Hopefully in the product notes
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/819-6594-11/
... no again.

I still haven't found the document which states that hot-plugging of disks is not supported by Solaris.

So one can normally assume that advertized hot-plugging of a Sun hardware is also supported on a Sun operating system - better not.

Daniel