On October 17, 2006 1:45:45 PM -0700 Richard Elling - PAE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ah, more terminology below...

Daniel Rock wrote:
I still haven't found the document which states that hot-plugging of
disks is not supported by Solaris.

The operational definition of "hot pluggable" is:
        The ability to add or remove a system component while the
        system remains powered up, and without inducing any hardware
        errors.

        This does not imply anything about whether the component is
        automatically integrated into or detached from some higher
        level environment for use, nor that such an environment is
        necessarily suspended during the operation (although it may
        be.)  For example, a hot pluggable processor/memory card may
        be added to a system without the need to power the chassis
        down and then back up.  However, that does not mean it will
        be automatically utilized by the operating system using that
        chassis.

So one can normally assume that advertized hot-plugging of a Sun
hardware is also supported on a Sun operating system - better not.

All SATA drives are hot-pluggable.

No, not by that definition.  If you start with 2 drives, remove one,
it is no longer available to the system even when replaced.  Similarly,
if you boot with only 1 drive present, the 2nd drive will never be
recognized even when "hot-plugged" later.

There is no software component pertaining to hot-pluggable, so there

I would say there is, based on your definition of hot-pluggable, since
Windows supports it and Solaris doesn't.  Under Solaris, a drive cannot
be added.  I don't mean automatically, I mean at all.

is indeed an error on the page describing hot-pluggable as being a
Windows-only feature.

Perhaps you are looking for "hot-swappable" for which the operational
definition is:
        The ability of a component to be added or removed from a system
        without interrupting the normal operation of the system.

I hope for Sun's sake that you don't represent them in this matter.  At
best, you are justifying deceptive advertising.

-frank