Chris Adams wrote:
We're looking at replacing a current Linux server with a T1000 + a fiber channel enclosure to take advantage of ZFS. Unfortunately, the T1000 only has a single drive bay (!) which makes it impossible to follow our normal practice of mirroring the root file system; naturally the idea of using that big ZFS pool is appealing.

Note: the original T1000 had the single disk limit.  This was unfortunate, and a
sales inhibitor.  Today, you have the option of single (SATA) or dual (SAS) boot
disks, with hardware RAID.  See:
        http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t1000/specs.xml

Is anyone actually booting ZFS in production and, if so, would you recommend
this approach?

At this time, I would not recommend it for SPARC systems.
 -- richard