Wes Williams wrote:
Thanks gents for  your replies.  I've used to a very large config W2100z and ZFS for
awhile but didn't know "how low can you go" for ZFS to shine, though a 64-bit
CPU seems to be the minimum performance threshold.

Now that Sun's store is [sort of] working again, I can see some X2100's with
the custom configure and a very low starting price of only $450 sans CPU,
drives, and memory.  Great!!

[b]If only we could get a basic X2100-ish designed, "custom build" priced,
server from Sun that could also hold 3-5 drives internally[/b], I could see a bunch of
those being used as ZFS file servers.  This would also be a good price point for small
office and home users since the X4100 is certainly overkill in this application, though
I'd wouldn't refuse one offered to me.  =)

I built my own, using essentially the same mobo (tyan 2865).
The Ultra 20 is slightly different, but not enough to matter.

I put it in a case that would hold more drives and a larger
power supply, and I've got a nice home server w/ a TB of
disk (effective space 750GB).

Very simple and easy.  Right now I'm still using a single
disk for /, since I'm worried about safegarding data, not
making sure I have max availability.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts