[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 11/11/06, Bart Smaalders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It would seem useful to separate the user's data from the system's data
to prevent problems with losing mail, log file data, etc, when either
changing boot environments or pivoting root boot environments.
I'll be more concerned about the confusion caused by losing the
changes when booting off different datasets but that problem exists
ZFS or otherwise.  I see a clear advantage in keeping more bootable
images than I can have "partitions" for especially when monkeying
around with the kernel codes.

And I think this may also open the door for a "fallback" boot; if booting
one root fs fails, we might be able to restart with another (but this
does seem to require modifying the pool in some way so it is not obvious
how this is done with errors really early in boot)
Actually, we have considered this.  On both SPARC and x86, there will be
a way to specify the root file system (i.e., the bootable dataset) to be booted,
at either the GRUB prompt (for x86) or the OBP prompt (for SPARC).
If no root file system is specified, the current default 'bootfs' specified
in the root pool's metadata will be booted.  But it will be possible to
override the default, which will provide that "fallback" boot capability.

Lori
Casper