Hi Betsy,

Yes, part of this is a documentation problem.

I recently documented the find -inum scenario in the community version of the admin guide. Please see page 156, (well, for next time) here:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/

We're working on the larger issue as well.

Cindy

Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
Well, I fixed the HW but I had one bad file, and the problem was that ZFS was saying "delete the pool and restore from tape" when, it turns out, the answer is just find the file with the bad inode, delete it, clear the device and scrub. Maybe more of a documentation problme, but it sure is disconcerting to have a file system threatening to give up the game over one bad file (and the real irony: it was a file in someone's TRASH!)

Anyway I'm back in business without a restore (and with a rebuilt RAID) but yeesh, it sure took a lot of escalating to get to the point where someone knew to tell me to do a find -inum.