On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:41, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This is a problem since how can anyone use ZFS on a PC??? My motherboard is a newly minted AM2 w/ all the latest firmware. I disabled boot detection on the sata channels and it still refuses to boot. I had to purchase an external SATA enclosure to fix the drives. This seems to me to be a serious problem. I put build 47 and 50 on there with the same issue.

A serious problem *IN YOUR BIOS*.

You will need to format the disks, at ordinary PC (fdisk) labels and
on those create Solaris partitions and give those to ZFS.

take a look at the EFI/GPT discussion here (apple):
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/7CC25766-EF64-4D85-AD37- BCC39FBD2A4F.html

I suspect a lack of an MBR could cause some BIOS implementations to barf ..

does our fdisk put an MBR on the disk? if so, does the EFI vdev labeling invalidate the MBR?

Jonathan