>I suspect a lack of an MBR could cause some BIOS implementations to
>barf ..

Why?

Zeroed disks don't have that issue either.

What appears to be happening is more that raid controllers attempt
to interpret the data in the EFI label as the proprietary
"hardware raid" labels.  At least, it seems to be a problem
with internal RAIDs only.

In my experience, removing the disks from the boot sequence was
not enough; you need to disable the disks in the BIOS.

The SCSI disks with EFI labels in the same system caused no
issues at all; but the disks connected to the on-board RAID
did have issues.

So what you need to do is:

        - remove the controllers from the probe sequence
        - disable the disks

Casper