On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

On 1-Dec-06, at 6:36 PM, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On Dec 1, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Dana H. Myers wrote:

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Al Hopper wrote:

Followup: When you say you "fixed the HW", I'm curious as to what you found and if this experience with ZFS convinced you that your trusted
RAID
H/W did, in fact, have issues?

Do you think that it's likely that there are others running production systems on RAID systems that they trust, but don't realize may have bugs
(causing data corruption) that have yet to be discovered?

And this is different from any other storage system, how? (ie, JBOD
controllers and disks can also have subtle bugs that corrupt data)

Of course, but there isn't the expectation of data reliability with a
JBOD that there is with some RAID configurations.

There is not? People buy disk drives and expect them to corrupt their data? I expect the drives I buy to work fine (knowing that there could be bugs etc in them, the same as with my RAID systems).

Yes, but in either case, ZFS will tell you.

And then kill your whole pool :-)

Other filesystems in general cannot.

While other file systems, when they become corrupt, allow you to salvage data :-)

Chad

--Toby

Chad

---